NEW TO THIS

Welcome to GamerWidow.com!! Please take a moment to introduce yourself to the community. =)

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, Faeril, Lyoness, max

NEW TO THIS

Postby scouter on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:00 pm

I really can't believe I'm writing this. It seems like every summer for the past few years, my husband of 15 years starts a new video game. Last year it was Mafia Wars, which he played for hours on end, and even used my fb acct. to get more options or whatever. I finally changed my password on fb so he wouldn't have access, and he stopped playing. Well, this summer, he bought Red Dead Redemption, and has been playing it non-stop. My kids have been so upset that they try to throw the game away. He plays it in the main family room, and it is not at all appropriate for kids. I have an 11 year old, a 7 year old, and a 3 year old. They sometimes watch him play just because they want to spend time with him, but they get disgusted by the skinning of the animals and my daughter was very disturbed in one scene in which a woman shot herself, and another scene in which there was a cannibal. Just a disgusting and disturbing game overall. My 7 year old son seems to be following in his dad's footsteps and plays Star Wars and seems to always be on his DS (which I purposely leave uncharged a lot or hide). My 7 year old son also seems to be more violent after watching his father play these games, but my husband says that Red Dead doesn't contribute to it, but I don't know how it couldn't with all the violence and shooting. I don't watch violent shows in front of my kids, so I don't understand why my hubby feels like he can play this adult game. He even thinks it's better that he's playing in the family room since he can spend "time" with us, and I don't complain that he's always in the movie room playing the game. Well, playing a video game isn't time with the family, exactly.
Well, now, he's agreed to return Red Dead Redumption (as we call it), to the video store, but he left a search open today that says L.A. Noir, so I know that he's just going to start playing that now. My daughters always asks me why I can't get Dad to stop playing the game, and honestly, I don't know the answer. I partly blame myself because I knew he played video games when I married him, but I guess since I worked weekends, and was in college and then grad school, I just didn't notice or maybe was relieved that he had something to occupy his time. We joke about his addiction, but I know that it's just a way that we cope. I know that everyone needs an escape from life at times, but this is too much. I'm concerned that our family members, esp, my children, are not getting their needs met, and I feel I must be a total bore to him, and that my children are viewing me as someone with no say in our family's life.
scouter

Re: NEW TO THIS

Postby Nicole53 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:27 pm

Hello!

I am newbie here...And I am new to this too...
Thank you for this site,co'z it is great...
how to treat depression
Cheers :beer
Nicole53

Re: NEW TO THIS

Postby Jiellen29 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:23 am

I am new in this site too,and I learn new things in this forum...

[Regardz!!! :clap
Jiellen29

Return to Introductions