The extent of the addiction in other WOW players

This forum is for those of you who are in the middle of or have successfuly beat the addiction. Whether your addiction was gaming, smoking, eating, etc. you are welcome to use this forum to help you get through it or share your story of how you got through it!

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, Neglected

The extent of the addiction in other WOW players

Postby dk76 on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:08 pm

I'm still playing WOW, but as I don't have any friends playing it, I just kinda roll up various alts and play them. I don't have a character above 43.

So I am not really playing the game as it's designed. But even in my feeble attempt it is eating up huge chunks of my time.

I see this new patch coming up making it easier to level. Apparently Blizzard wants everyone to get to that highe rlevel so they can play teh new content that will come out with the lich king.

I'm once again considering abandoning it. I kinda feel liek a loser because I can't seem to commit the time and energy to level a character to 70.

I find wow so unsatisfying, yet something keeps me hooked. Perhaps teh ability to create an alter-ego and escape my life?

What I have noticed about other players:

1. As much as I play it a lot, the vast majority of players are sinking massive amounts of time and energy into the game. A lot of these people play 10 plus hours a day and see nothing wrong with that??!!!

2. Maturity seems to be very lacking. Hyperactive behaviour, greedy and selfish behaviour is the norm.

3. There is very little Role playing. The majority of the players seem to want to simply 'be the best' or 'be l33t'. They seem less interested in make-believe and fun - stuf fthat would require imagination.

4. Fair play and honour is non-existant. When was the last time you got a Duel Request from someone who didn't out-gear you or wasn't so many levels above you.

5. This whole thing of twinking, makes the game less about skill and more about commerce, gear. What I mean by that is, players don't relish beating someone who is easily matched, they take delight in betaing someone who is lesser. The underlying message there is disturbing to me.

I may very well be able to free myself from WOW for good, but I am really disturbed at the behaviour of so many of these young guys out there.
dk76

Postby osprey on Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:55 am

There is a term that is used to describe this phenomenon called "mudflation", a running together of the term MUD (Multi User Dungeon, the online precursor to games like WoW and EQ) and the word inflation, which refers to how the value of money declines over time. In order to be able to sell expansions and to keep people playing, the designers need to put in new items, tougher mobs, new skills, etc. The pursuit of these new things is what keeps you paying your subscription fees. The downside of this, of course, is that the super high end gear that you have from expansion A is totally gimp in expansion B, so you have to grind through all of expansion B to upgrade your stuff to be uber again.

In terms of your observation about people acting like jerks in game, part of that is the "powergamer" mentality brought to the game by 15 year olds who don't care about any consequences of their actions, and just want to be uber l33t ASAP. The community aspects of the games does not interest them. My pet peeve about this kind of player is that they often interact with other players as if they were on an IRC channel, and send you tells like "d00d can u buff me", rather than take the time to at least type full sentences and say thank you.

Roleplaying is gone, dead and buried. If you are interested in that sort of playing experience, there is always some lout out there who will quickly resort to ending your story.
osprey

Postby happiness on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Heres a handfull of provocative thoughts from a game-free wow-addict (4 months and 1 day now aproximately). I mean no harm - just want to provoke a change.

- Being bothered by other players attitude and mentality is a sign of being addicted to the game.

- If you get annoyed by playing the game - even when reflecting about why you are playing the game, then it is definately time to quit.

- You think about quitting the game. Basically nothing is keeping you from doing so apart from your own will to keep playing.

- Challenge yourself. See if you can do 21 days without any wow-gaming, checking wow-forums or such. After 21 days you will know a lot more about why you played wow I will guess.

All of the above applied to me and worked for me.
happiness
Friend

Postby Risingstar on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:00 pm

I remember when I first started playing I hit level 60 quite quick because I was on a new server and it was a big race.

Let me tell you the game doesn't end at level 70, if it was that way then Blizzard would make no money. There is always some thing to do even for those who have the best gear and kill the biggest baddest boss in the game. So if you don't enjoy the game anymore then why play it?
Risingstar

Re: The extent of the addiction in other WOW players

Postby dk76 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:45 pm

*BUMP*

What is truly sad is this was in 2007 and it's now 2010. How full of shite I was about quitting. I guess I wasn't at rock bottom yet? But my life was still impacted by this game.

My God! how many years and how much time have I wasted? :grumble

The immature bahaviour is still there. I wonder how much the game addiction/lack of sleep/lack of sunlight/lack of social life also impacts these people's behaviour? :desk
dk76

Postby Sunchaser on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:14 am

It's weird I keep hearing posts about immaturity and I often hear people refer to people that play the game as such. I have to admit that I truly feel the age difference between my husband and I lately in on so many different levels. I mean the fact that a video game is such a big part of a 32 year old man that is a father of two is odd. I often tell him out loud that this is really dumb, and I feel like I am going rounds with my teenager.

I wanted to note, that I REALLY without a doubt think that the game does change a person. I have said this to my husband for the last few years.

He's just NOT the same person.... He's personality is there but lacking. He seems to be edgy or irritable when he isn't playing the game and all the things we used to enjoy together he doesn't seem to enjoy much anymore.

I have said several times WHAT DO YOU ENJOY OTHER THAN WOW?

Honestly, I know I am a different kind of person, but I DON'T get how on earth how you can play a game for years all day and night and NOT get bored. I am sorry, but any normal person I would think would get bored- Yes, there is new stuff to do, but in the end you're still doing the same thing. HOW can you do that for 8 plus hours a day??
Sunchaser

Postby happiness on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Thanks for the BUMP..... so where are you at now?
happiness
Friend

Return to Sort Yourself Out - The REHAB Room