Reformed gamers help with revenge/extortion?

This forum is for those of you who are in the middle of or have successfuly beat the addiction. Whether your addiction was gaming, smoking, eating, etc. you are welcome to use this forum to help you get through it or share your story of how you got through it!

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, Neglected

Reformed gamers help with revenge/extortion?

Postby immeraallein on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:10 am

Perhaps this is inappropriate, but I have this little fantasy. Bear with me.

I used to fantasize about purchasing a maxed out WoW character or three from people who farm those. Then stalking him through WoW-land, killing him over and over again so he cannot possibly enjoy the game. Repeat ad infinitum.

Anyone want to volunteer their no longer needed characters for this purpose? It's too late for me really, my marriage is already dead, but maybe you can help another widow save hers/his. Maybe getting killed a hundred times by different powerful guys who all just say "Save your marriage, dumbass" will give some gamers a hint. You think?

Considering the number of people on these forums, this should be a public service. If I knew more about WoW and other games I'd start an underground group who offered free services to WoW widows.
immeraallein

Re: Reformed gamers help with revenge/extortion?

Postby Tawnee on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:45 am

Pmsl :lol

Camping a character and having an add-on that just says "go be with your family" and then chances to "face your fears" and "deal with your responsibilities"
Tawnee
Moderator: Goddess

Postby Shadow Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:09 am

The fantasy seems rich. But quiet frankly the joke would be him if you got up and decided not tolerate his childishness any more. Maybe move out (or not, just ignore him) and go live your life for you until he gets his act together. He has no right to dump all of this emotional stress on you and then just ignore it for whatever the many cliché excuses gamers can usually dish out.

Eventually, he's going to realize all he has is his sad little game of virtual characters and, lets face it, a vast majority of players who couldn’t spell themselves out of the second grade. These people live to just get more out of game that eventually won’t be able to give enough for any of them, honestly. Its all the same.

If he chooses to close out the world in conjunction with neglecting to be responsible for his life, then I think he's already punished enough, especially if he loses you. I know after emotionally investing in someone that its hard not to feel the effects, but do not allow his stupidity to make the both of you suffer.

Besides. Even fast computers take awhile to download all of the programming and patches for World of Warcraft, so if you uninstall it, he suddenly has a fair amount of free time to talk. Its cheaper and less degrading then giving into the game! :lol
Shadow Guest
Friend

Postby Joe Gamer on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:58 am

" Besides. Even fast computers take awhile to download all of the programming and patches for World of Warcraft, so if you uninstall it, he suddenly has a fair amount of free time to talk. Its cheaper and less degrading then giving into the game! :lol "

This is terrible advice, I can only see this as causing a fight. Messing with my computer is a serious deal-breaker, if someone is truly in an addicted state I can only see how this would push them further away. Being angry and lashing out cannot effect lasting change, only communication and understanding can do that. I think that gamers fail at the communication part and widows fail at the understanding part.
Joe Gamer

Postby Shadow Guest on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:00 pm

In a certain regard, it was the "lesser evil" and partially sarcastic. Revenge is never the answer.

And you're right. Its all about communication and understanding--but also about acting. However, if a widow was so desperate to have a conversation regarding her marriage to the gamer that she uninstalled the game and the gamer took that as complete sabotage, then I think there would be a lack of understanding on the gamers part as well. But someone who is addicted will just lash out anyways. So while there may be no winning there, it depends on the individuals.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like having my computer combed through either, however, I don't have anything to keep from my spouse, nor do I use a game or program to hide behind either.

There will always be a certain bridge of misunderstanding between widow(er)s and gamers. But I honestly don’t think it is as simple as saying "gamers fail at the communication part and widows fail at the understanding part." A lot of the time, widow(er)s will attempt to communicate so they can understand, asking questions like: Why don't we spend time together; Talk like we use to; Why is the game more important then me? For the most part, they're usually just met with excuses.

Everyone's different, as our their situations. But I'm generalizing here. Some gamers do need understanding, their addictive habits have deeper meaning then their spouses may have first perceived. But if you spend enough time reading here, you’ll discover that some of these gamers don't need understanding. They may not work, yet they're so stressed they need to play all day. They don't clean the house or care for their own children. Even have emotional affairs. The widow(er) takes on so many responsibilities while physically seeing his/her spouse but feeling completely abandoned. And even though the gamer may communicate and be aware of their spouses needs and worries, the gamer chooses to ignore them with excuses and idleness while they're clearly in pain.
Shadow Guest
Friend

Postby Psykiblue on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:41 pm

Joegamer's,

She's in a lot of pain, and honestly when I was in that much pain I would have been extremely angry and reading your comment and dismissal of an issue that's ongoing.

I doubt she really wants to destroy it, its called venting. It helps lessen the hurt, the anger, but comments like yours is just going to make it explode again. Please, if you're going to comment to gamerwidow(er)s please show some compassion.
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

Psykiblue

Postby Joe Gamer on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:30 pm

I was trying to be tactful and I never intended to hurt anyone's feelings. These are painful situations not just for her but also for him, even if he bottles it all up and doesn't show it. My comment was perhaps a knee jerk reaction, when I read it I could only see how it could cause more pain and I probably took it more seriously than it was intended. My own relationship is littered with times when we have hurt each other because we were angry so I would rather see others not follow our path as it has really not worked out for us very well.
Joe Gamer

Postby newlywedwidow on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:55 am

I can honestly say that I unistalled the game, took the hinges off the closet he had his gaming discs in and cut them up and threw them at him and told him never to bring them back into my house. This was the start to our recovery. I think my doing this made him see that I meant business. Before this he just ignored me....afterwards, we fought like cats and dogs, but at least we were talking. After fighting for so long we got tired of fighting and decided to figure things out. It worked for me, may not work for you.
I am worth it and so are you! Remember...It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many moments take your breath away!
newlywedwidow
Friend

Postby joyrose on Tue May 12, 2009 1:21 pm

Someone should write a special "widower" add-on that pauses the game, pops up messages like: put away laundry, read your child a bedtime story, talk to your partner for 20 uninterrupted minutes, etc and then keeps the game paused for 15 or 20 or 30 min. There could even be a guild message "Guildie is afk for 20 min - irl aggro" and the widower could program in the times, length and messages of the interrupts.

:evil
joyrose

Postby magliadoro on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:15 am

That's a neat idea. But in all honesty, it wouldn't work. They'd just uninstall it.
magliadoro

Postby WoWsurvivor on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:18 pm

Water+PC/MAC
http://wowsurvivor.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/WoWSurvivor

“I have given up in despair. All the clap-trap and fol-de-rol and mysticism were too much for me. As if there wasn’t beauty and mystery and charm enough in real life without going over to the supernatural for your great effects. It must be the vulgarest kind of mind which has to resort to blue lights an tinsel and pantomime to produce any impression” –Edith Wharton, author of over 20 novels and winner of the Pulitzer Prize, reviewing a novel as a teenager.
WoWsurvivor

Postby PirateJohn on Wed May 05, 2010 12:07 am

How about this instead: Bring a guy over and start making out with him in the same room where your husband/bf plays his game. For added fun, take out a stopwatch and see how long it takes for said hubby/bf to notice.
PirateJohn

Return to Sort Yourself Out - The REHAB Room