Just Decided to Stop playing WoW after 4 years of Addiction

This forum is for those of you who are in the middle of or have successfuly beat the addiction. Whether your addiction was gaming, smoking, eating, etc. you are welcome to use this forum to help you get through it or share your story of how you got through it!

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, Neglected

Just Decided to Stop playing WoW after 4 years of Addiction

Postby Xepla on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:13 am

About an hour ago , I had an epiphany. I have been playing World of Warcraft since I was 16. I am now 20.
I'm currently a heavy raider (This means I've spent most week nights staying up late talking to 19 others in a Voice Chat client as we try to organize ourselves and fight Internet Dragons). I have decided not to talk to my guild about it because I know they will pressure me into staying. This is one of the hardest decisions I've ever made.

I've spent literally hundreds of dollars on the game. I'm now negative in the bank account due to buying game time , character recustoms, gold, and other "Virtual Goods."

My boyfriend of over 2 years, the love of my life, has had a problem with WoW since we started dating. We've had terrible arguments in which I've said awful things like " No. I won't stop. I don't care if it's hurting you or my family." It isn't that I don't care, it's that I'm afraid.

WoW has stopped me from going out and looking for a job.
It's stopped me from exercising on pretty days.
It's stopped me from reading, which I used to do a lot.
This sounds cheesy, but on that How to Quit WoW article (I think it's on WikiHow) it asked a good question: "Imagine yourself in two years, still playing WoW, looking back on today when you are making the decision to quit or keep playing. How do you feel about your decision to continue?"
I can't live with myself in two years if I turned down this opportunity to stop and pursue the life I want. I could be so much more than this. I've spent way too many nights hunched over my laptop accomplishing nothing, eating Taco Bell. I don't even know my roomates. I don't keep in touch with friends. I spend the day looking forward to the late-night raid. I've abandoned my schoolwork and shown up late to 11:30 classes because of staying up too late on WoW.

I'm a short story writer at heart and I have been rolling on Role-Play servers to satisfy my natural desire to create stories , and the stories are good ,but who the frack wants to read fan fiction? Fan fiction is creepy . I should be working on actual stories that publishers would be interested in . I've wasted years writing RP backgrounds and researching "WoW Lore" when I could have been writing an actual novel and researching actual history and come up with something original.

I am in need of support because I'm not sure how much longer I can resist the temptation to play. I am currently selling all of my accounts, but in the meantime they are still accessible.

I'm ready to grow up and move on. I'm ready to stop acting like the 16 year old child I was when I started playing and become the 20 year old woman I am.
Xepla

Re: Just Decided to Stop playing WoW after 4 years of Addiction

Postby MaryBraveBird on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:05 am

Hi and welcome! And congratulations for taking that HUGE step. I think the epiphany you just had is the most important step of all.
Whenever you feel the overwhelming urge to play, I'd picture myself 2 years from now, still playing, without money, without a boyfriend (because he might not put up with it), without friends, without a job (or higher education). I think that image helps more, even though it's a negative one, than trying to think of what you want to do instead of playing. Because when you think of what you want to do from now on, the thought "well, playing just for a few hours, just today, won't do any harm" might come up. Think about that outlook, and then go out and do something else, doesn't really matter what. Go running, go see a movie, meet someone, call someone, whatever it is that you like to do. Or just come back here and talk to us :)
MaryBraveBird
Friend

Postby Djorn on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Good decision!

It's going to be hard, but, you can do it.

I did the exact same thing with the Roleplay, now I write a blog and some poems instead.

When you want to play try to think of all the cool shit you could being doing instead of playing WoW

If you feel like giving into the urge would make you happy, try to remember that it would only temporarily make you happy.

Welcome!
Djorn
Friend

Postby Neglected on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:10 pm

Congratulations and welcome to GW!

Like Djorn said, it's going to be hard but we know you can do it being former gamers. You did it the best way. Cold turkey.

Delete and throw away everything. That's part of the temptation is still havingit around. Get rid of the gaming cd's and completely delete it from your puter. Delete all notes and just throw everything away.

Rearrange the room you played in. Move the puter around to another room. I used to game on a tower, so now I only go online on my laptop because towers remind me too much of my gaming years.

Every time you feel the urge or feel depressed go outside. There is nothing better than just heading out the door. Stand outside or walk, or run or go for a ride. Just get out of the house.

Type as much as you want to here. All your feelings and things you are going through. Get them out, don't keep them in. You won't be condemed; here is were you will be understood and hopefully helped.

You can do it! :hug
Troll under the bridge
Neglected

Postby Plain sight on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:15 pm

Just a day after your epiphany, my husband had one of his own.

My sweetie got me the best post Valentine's Day present.
He quit his big raiding guild and the game after 4 years of playing WOW. He has not been on since.

It is so nice to snuggle and watch TV together. Next week we are even going to try to sleep together. LOL.
He had been staying up playing later than I go to sleep so he was generally falling asleep on the couch.
I have to get used to the snorning again.

Last night we drove downtown and walked by the pier during the sunset. Real Life was wonderful.

Now I played socially as he raided so I have stopped as well to aid in his WOW cold turkey.

This site has always been an inspiration to me. Hugs!
Plain sight

Postby EQaddicted23 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:00 pm

Just remember this...
You are accountable for your own actions. If you go back to WoW and it ruins your life, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

So are you wretched worthless filth or are you somebody worthwhile?
EQaddicted23

Postby Neglected on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:06 pm

EQaddicted23 wrote:So are you wretched worthless filth or are you somebody worthwhile?

Wow! I like that EQ. That little phrase holds true for other parts of life too. Well said ^^
Troll under the bridge
Neglected

Return to Sort Yourself Out - The REHAB Room