Looking for advice.

This forum is for those of you who are in the middle of or have successfuly beat the addiction. Whether your addiction was gaming, smoking, eating, etc. you are welcome to use this forum to help you get through it or share your story of how you got through it!

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, Neglected

Looking for advice.

Postby Salerk on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:58 pm

I've been a gamer for life, I do not find I get addicted really. I play casually now and then, but over the last 2 years ive been fighting hard vs depression and SH. Because of that Ive allowed myself to get stuck in wow and am almost scared to break the game addiction, because there people do not see the state that I am in.

I've tried to ask my old help group, but they do not understand how a game can provide that level of escape.

So while I understand most of this is to help people who have had there life affected by games, I was wondering what I might be able to do to break the addiction, but in a way that Im not going to have it bring back my depression in to much of a way. I know this is possibly more than you normally deal with, but i was pointed here by someone who thought it might be worth trying.

Thanks

Sal
Salerk

Re: Looking for advice.

Postby Savandicus on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:32 pm

There are 2 choices really,

1 - Limit yourself to whatever amount you consider to yourself to be an acceptable amount and find something else to do with your free time. Spending time with family and friends is a good way to spend an entire evening. Runnning or other excerise or other games or a different hobby are also good.

The thing about WoW is that if you raid you have to organise evenings to do it and find afew hours straight to do it which can easily lead to neglecting other things because you need to finish/start/help your guild/etc. If your do something instead that takes up as much time as you want it to take up then your hobby fits your free time rather than your life fits around your raids.

Your other option is to just completely stop playing however if your going to do this then your going to find yourself with alot of free time that you need to fill or else you will just be back on wow in days.

Hope i was atleast of some help, if not feel free to laugh derisively at my post :)
Savandicus

Postby Salerk on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:34 am

No thats good advice, I was raiding, and then I released I was getting a little to much into it, you know doing the whole 4 hour stint getting herbs to help out, its kinda then I released I was prob getting bad, so quit, and now only play maybe 3 hours a day enough time to run an instance say hi to friends then head off, some days I dont even bother to log on.

My other half plays more than me now. Its weird sitting there watching her play, jump from server to server on her various chars but I do not get the urge to play, so thats a good thing, although I am going to have to break her of her dependancy lol.

As for the replacement hobby, well I am getting my head more stuck into my university work, spending times with friends and family is hard tho since as I am a fair distance away, and I lost most of my friends I don't blame them its hard to deal with someone with depression.

But thanks again for the advice.

And good luck to anyone who is working to save a relationship, I lost a 4 year relationship because the girl I was with got addicted to wow, would not even come off the computer, and ended up leaving me for someone she met in the game because he understood her love of the game.

I hope things go better for you.

-R-
Salerk

Postby newlywedwidow on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:08 am

I think if you have a tendency to get addicted then breaking away completely is a great idea, but if you can handle it just cut back. Have you considered counseling and or medication for your depression? Maybe you and your SO can go to counseling together?
I am worth it and so are you! Remember...It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many moments take your breath away!
newlywedwidow
Friend

Return to Sort Yourself Out - The REHAB Room