It's not the caboose!

This forum is for those of you who are in the middle of or have successfuly beat the addiction. Whether your addiction was gaming, smoking, eating, etc. you are welcome to use this forum to help you get through it or share your story of how you got through it!

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, Neglected

It's not the caboose!

Postby acolorado on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:39 pm

I was just remembering something someone told me.

"When you get hit by a train, it's not the caboose that kills you."

It was never the 8th hour I played WoW that screwed me. It was the fact that I had logged on in the first place. I know from long experience that I just don't control the time I spend on. A hundred attempts to only play for an hour, or even two, wound up turning into six and eight hour stretches. As soon as I'm ingame and doing something.. anything... that peculiar mental twist kicks in and one thing turns into two, then to three. I become such a child that I would just so much rather play the stupid game than cope with real life. It's my anasthetic. I can't help it. Not once I've logged on. There will always be another raid, always another node, always another BG. I can't just check the mail - I will always have a tell to reply to, an invite, a convo in guild chat to follow. The only way to win is not to play.

I've read so many posts by widow's talking about a promise to only play for an hour. It turns into two. Or six. I'm single and I did the same thing. Late to work. Canceling plans. Just not showing up. Now I'm looking back on two empty years. Nothing to show for them. Lots that I've lost. A whole damn life to play catch-up with. And all for what? Nada.

Screw that. I'm just getting off the damn tracks.
acolorado

Re: It's not the caboose!

Postby WoWsurvivor on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:54 am

Amen, great post. So true. I'd always log in to complete a quest, but that never satisfied it. Next thing I know it's 3a.m.
http://wowsurvivor.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/WoWSurvivor

“I have given up in despair. All the clap-trap and fol-de-rol and mysticism were too much for me. As if there wasn’t beauty and mystery and charm enough in real life without going over to the supernatural for your great effects. It must be the vulgarest kind of mind which has to resort to blue lights an tinsel and pantomime to produce any impression” –Edith Wharton, author of over 20 novels and winner of the Pulitzer Prize, reviewing a novel as a teenager.
WoWsurvivor

Re: It's not the caboose!

Postby Sirena on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:54 pm

Congrats to you both for realizing how this game can suck the life out of you!

:joy
Love Must Be Tough
Sirena
Friend

Return to Sort Yourself Out - The REHAB Room