12 year old halo 3 addiction.

This forum is for those of you who are in the middle of or have successfuly beat the addiction. Whether your addiction was gaming, smoking, eating, etc. you are welcome to use this forum to help you get through it or share your story of how you got through it!

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, Neglected

12 year old halo 3 addiction.

Postby fletchr81 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:44 pm

When I shamed my mom into letting me get halo 3, I played until 430 the day I got it. My parents try to get me off of the game, but I always stay on for more. I spend an average of 8 hours a day on this game. I got the ranking of Commander, which is usually extremely time consuming to get, in a matter of two months. This game is put before sports, school, and even friends and family. My grades, performance in sports, and even personality are effected because of Halo 3. My parents are fed up with the amount of time spent on the game because I am compelled to spend every single moment of my free time playing this game. I'm scared. I need help. I write this in tears because I don't know what to do. I am changing schools because people treat me so differently since I got the game. It's my fault that my personality is different. even when I see a person, for second I think that they are a character in halo and should have a name over their head. I cannot bring myself to sell the game or even ask my parents to limit my time on it. They treat me so differently because I think the game is more important than they are. It is causing dramas throughout my family all because of me. I'm guilty. I'm scared. I'm addicted. PLEASE HELP!
fletchr81

Re: 12 year old halo 3 addiction.

Postby Djorn on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:16 am

I wouldn't despair too much if I were you, you sound like you're still sane. If you want to stop playing, then good for you. If you really want to quit, you just need to believe you can and you can do it.

I used to play Halo 3 and I wanted to get to Colonel, I eventually achieved this and then five minutes later thought, what's the point?

I'd recommend weighing up the pros and cons of playing and then decide for yourself what you want to do. You seem concerned about your parents which is a very good thing, but you should be concerned with your own feelings and desires too.

Maybe you could keep playing but have the discipline to not play all the time? Play when it's fun and forget about being good, because nobody really cares how good you are at a videogame and the slight ego boost it brings doesn't last long. You can get better ones from sport and real life.

It's just a game dude.. and sometimes it's fun. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing.
Djorn
Friend

Postby Tawnee on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:52 am

Fletcher here's a big :hug

I think what might help you is having a mentor. Maybe even someone here, who has gone through the whole process of quitting may help you.

Someone you can email, maybe phone in the hard times. Someone that understands.

And....you have to speak to your parents. I'm a Mum and I can just imagine how worried they are and how much they love you. How much they want their son back and not the gamer.

My heart aches for you and I really want to wipe away your tears and hug you and tell you that it will be all right. Because it will be. You are young and you can stop this before it goers any further.

You need to talk to your parents and you have to delete the game. And break the disks. It's gonna be hard. Plan ahead on what to do to fill your time. eg Monday - wash mum's car, Tuesday - walk the dog, Wed - clean my room, totally, Thursday - call an old friend, Friday - catch up on school work, Saturday - go out and muchk around with a friend, Sunday - family day.

Please keep typing here. We are here to help. One day at a time. One hour, one minute.
Tawnee
Moderator: Goddess

Postby Shadow Guest on Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:04 pm

I remember how easily I could get sucked into games, too. Even at a young age such as yours--they are wonderful adventures and great challenges. I’m a creative soul, so I get consumed by everything, the story, scenery, characters, combat system. The whole run around.

But over time, and it may take you time as well--just as long as you remember this, there’s more to life then just this video game. What got me off my ass was seeing all my friends having fun without me and remembering how much I enjoyed previously indulged activities with them and even my own hobbies just by myself. I remembered all of my dreams and the hard work they required, it felt great to start working towards them again, because dreams come and go, games are usually always there. I became a casual/social gamer and I still enjoy World of Warcraft and even Halo 3, but I also enjoy my life--they’re part of it, just not the entire focus. Don’t let just gaming define who you are, there seems to be a lot much more.

Honestly, if you’re twelve, this well spoken, this aware, and heck--that good at video games, that speaks great volumes about you. Talk to your parents and trusted friends, the people you know will be your support, because most often, these types of battles aren’t won alone. Always look for help and resources. Its time for no more excuses and to take responsibility--you seem to have a good start. If you really want to break free from this addiction, it will take hard work and sacrifice--you have to really want to get better. Like the old saying goes, anything in life worth having is worth working for.

Keep posting here if it helps you. There are a lot of people willing to listen who have either been through this or witnessed a loved one going down that path and want to help.
Shadow Guest
Friend

Postby Psykiblue on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:08 am

Please go to your parents, or another trusted adult to help you sort out this situation. I know its hard, but you need to be able to ask for help.

is there a friend you can trust to help you be there when you do? Is there anyone you trust enough to confide in what you've told us. We can't fully help you but we can give you support. But please talk to your parents or another trusted adult. Please.
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

Psykiblue

Postby Djorn on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:04 pm

Good advise on the talking to parents thing but give the guy some credit himself, that was an excellent post and despite the strong emotions he's feeling at the moment, he's got himself mainly sorted in his head I reckon.
Djorn
Friend

Postby type2020 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:00 am

Halo 3 isn't bad. I would say, anyone 10 or over should be aloud to play. As a parent, I would say that I would let my 10 year old play, There are worse things for your kids to see on NBC nightly news, so it's a game anyone over 10 should be able to play. but not all ways

ETA: No Spam in links please
type2020

Postby LavonSolie on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:24 am

You could just tell you parents and ask them to lock it away. I remember years a go when I was addicted to metal gear solid my parents took the console away and there wasn't much i could do about it.

You are able to decent link building services 1 may just be the unique article wizard.
LavonSolie

Return to Sort Yourself Out - The REHAB Room