Therapists looking to create "WoW therapy"

This forum is for those of you who are in the middle of or have successfuly beat the addiction. Whether your addiction was gaming, smoking, eating, etc. you are welcome to use this forum to help you get through it or share your story of how you got through it!

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, Neglected

Therapists looking to create "WoW therapy"

Postby Ender on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:00 am

I found this interesting article on the front page of Yahoo.
http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:yahoo_g ... yers?ccs=1

I think that its a great idea. However, I doubt that it will get much player support AND Blizzard's approval as well. I have already seen many "it's stupid" comments.
Ender

Re: Therapists looking to create "WoW therapy"

Postby Shadow Guest on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:44 pm

I think therapy would be a great idea, there are a good majority of players who probably need it. However, this endeavor will probably be met with little, to no support whatsoever. Even though I'm fairly certain the therapist teamed up with gamers could talk to many players for awhile before it dawns on them that they're in some sort of session or evaluation, they're just going to be met with resistance. At this point, why honestly bother with people who will make no effort to help themselves with the unwavering mentality that games are just easier.

... :|

The sad fact is, gamers use to be considered a smart crowd. Now, I can easily assume that 90% of the gamers who play World of Warcraft are the most moronic and vulgar tool bags who even telemarketers and insurance companies shouldn't have to deal with. Let them defend their habits with their ignorant Family Guy sense of humor. Seemingly sitting around all day, neglecting your spouse, children, housework, financial responsibilities and overall, your life, is one hell of a worthy cause to fight for. Maybe they'll even have a shallow affair with sweet tease guild mate girl X, Y and Z who they've known online for two months, but knows how to send pictures in an email and just seems to really understand him as a person--unlike the people in his life who, well, happen to care a hell of a lot more. And when they pass on, their obituary will likely read: "Just played World of Warcraft, had six maxed out characters and cleared all content on each. Paid for funeral by selling them on EBay, since he never made the time nor effort to pay for anything. You were never there so its like you never went! In memory of the back of your greasy head."

Why, yes, they are proud of all those accomplishments!

For those few gamers who honestly work hard, spend quality time with their family, have other legitimate hobbies, won't die a junk food induced heart attack at 27, have friends without green or blue text above their head, watch more then just "cheap laugh" racy cartoons, and can use the other three quarters of their brain and are able to play World of Warcraft without being a raging ass, I truly do applaud you.

I read some of the comments on the article and got very worked up... I apologize in advanced if anyone takes offense. That rant is not directed at recovering gamers, I have a great deal of respect for them and categorize them with the people in previous paragraph.
Shadow Guest
Friend

Postby Sirena on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:49 pm

Whew, Shadow....after I got done laughing my head off at your gamer obituary, I realized what a vent you were on. Thank you for sharing. I think that was all very well said.
Last edited by Sirena on Fri May 14, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love Must Be Tough
Sirena
Friend

Postby Shadow Guest on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:11 am

:whistle

I have tendency to get really worked up once I find myself nearing a breaking point. I've watched a lot of personal friends warp into that sterotype and not only do they resist the notion of bettering themselves in the slightest, but they're so proud of these behaviors and acts. That they hurt people they claim to love and care about out of greed, ignorance or passiveness. They hurt themselves allowing their loved ones to become helpless witnesses to their self-destructive natures. They continue to let their lives spiral out of control, the people they created a life with--made obligations and have responsibilities to, suddenly become victim or casualty being betrayed and deeply hurt and for what? A game, an addictive habit?

Even just reading them here and listening to one hurt person after another spill their heart out in pain, at a certain point, it really just hits home and certain nerves. These hurtful people need to smarten up and smell the reality.
Shadow Guest
Friend

Return to Sort Yourself Out - The REHAB Room