Parental Controls

This forum is for those of you who are in the middle of or have successfuly beat the addiction. Whether your addiction was gaming, smoking, eating, etc. you are welcome to use this forum to help you get through it or share your story of how you got through it!

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, Neglected

Parental Controls

Postby laroo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:06 pm

Here's a question: I did a search for 'Parental Controls' but could not find a post where they had been used with any real success. Has anyone successfully used the Parental Controls feature for their own or SO's account? This subject came up last night and I am just wondering if this has helped anyone. :)
laroo
Friend

Re: Parental Controls

Postby DarkJeedai on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:59 am

From personal experence when, long long ago my mother bought a lock for our computer to keep us off it. This was one of the first parential controls i experenced. Took me less then a day to figure out how to pick the lock. In later years it was having a password cracking program. To most people parential controls is just another challenge that they will find away to get around.
Recovering gameaholic - fomer WoW player
1 month free and going strong!!!
DarkJeedai

Postby beckibear on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 am

I put parental controls on the laptop but my partner just got his own computer. Considering I'm not supposed to go anywhere near it, I'm still undecided about doing anything to it along the lines of controls. He's far too lazy to try to break through them but he'd know I'd been in his room and I'm sure he'd just rant until I took them off.

There's a nice bit of coding you can set up where when they try to open a gaming file it diverts to shut down instead; he never did work out what was going on there, so I never got blamed for it. I'll have to see if I can remember how it worked... :)
beckibear

Postby DarkJeedai on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:55 am

Yea your gamer isnt very smart... Sorry but after that happening twice i would check the pathing and then run checks for other malicious things lol. But yea for that trick its just a matter of reasigning the location point for his shortcut to his game
Recovering gameaholic - fomer WoW player
1 month free and going strong!!!
DarkJeedai

Postby beckibear on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:22 am

Lol, he just doesn't think I know anything about computers; he's amazed I can even use the internet. He just ran endless virus scans, bless him.
beckibear

Return to Sort Yourself Out - The REHAB Room