I've finally quit for good - Warcraft

This forum is for those of you who are in the middle of or have successfuly beat the addiction. Whether your addiction was gaming, smoking, eating, etc. you are welcome to use this forum to help you get through it or share your story of how you got through it!

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, Neglected

I've finally quit for good - Warcraft

Postby dk76 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:10 pm

I've finally quit WOW for good.

I'm kind of ashamed because I've posted on this forum and talked the big talk. Yet I've repeatedly gone back to the game.

Yesterday I came home after work. I told my wife I was quitting wow, and then I deleted all my toons. There was no emotional response form me. It was all matter of fact. I guess to me 'levelling' was my addiction. So deleting high level toons is irrelevant, because I enjoyed rerolling and levelling.

I've been bullied in Warcraft. Many times. Recently my Guild Master started acting like a 3 year old (She's 34) when I suggested she didn't have to turn up to all guild runs and be the person in control all the time. She has serious problems. She owns 3 accounts :sad She gets her two children both under 8 to play the accounts to level the toons. I think this is seriously sick. I was officer in charge of Guild runs, yet she would expect to be there each time, and would asked for sheduled runs to be changed to fit her personal timetable. In other words instead of guild runs being a way to keep members interested, it was her way of doing the dungeons she wanted.

Last run was me, plus her and her boyfriend. She asked in guild chat if anyone wanted to come or else she would bring her two kids. A Guild member offered to come if she wanted to, but the GM declined and said she would bring the kids. So here I am scheduling my personal time to fill a slot so her 'family' can get runs through dungeons. Just a selfish addicted gamer she was.

I quit the guild, and now quit the game. (I don't wanna talk about the bullying that happenned during the run, details of wow arent important anymore).

I've realised it's been a progression. First I was addicted to TV in my teens and early 20s, with some console gaming. Then when I met my wife, (She is an internet addict) I became an internet addiction. My wife then introduced me to Wow, and that became my addiction.

I know I will experience depression, as this has happenned to me before.

I'm also not keen on switching back to an old addiction.

I'm taking serious inventory of my life and working out ways I can make real changes.
dk76

Re: I've finally quit for good - Warcraft

Postby FadedNovelty on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:55 am

Good for you :) I'm in the process of trying to quit too so I know how hard it is lol. Hope you can stick with it! Relapsing is too darn easy. Good luck!
FadedNovelty

Postby dk76 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:09 am

FadedNovelty wrote:Good for you :) I'm in the process of trying to quit too so I know how hard it is lol. Hope you can stick with it! Relapsing is too darn easy. Good luck!

Thanks Fadednovelty.

As you have stated,
The quitting was easy, the staying quit...is the challenge.

Already I'm having the following negative:

* Thoughts about escaping to the game
* Thoughts about Warcraft in general (ie. Why not check what's th elatest on their site...oh wait I quit)

The positive:

* My head is my clearer.
* More free time.
dk76

Postby FadedNovelty on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:10 am

I have the same problem as you, I enjoyed leveling and rerolling way more than being 80. So I already made a new character and played for a little bit yesterday. But when I hit 10 and started queueing up for BGs and sitting around waiting for 1/2 hr for it to pop I was wondering why I was even bothering. It's not really fun anymore, I think I just played/wanting to play out of habit. It's easier to go back into the game and ignore everything else than have to come up with new hobbies and stuff to occupy free time. I was having a hard time before I made that character yesterday, but now I just feel more free (oh it'd be so easy to go back.. why don't I just go back with limits blah blah blah; ones I know I'd never keep lol). I don't want to waste 1/2 hr waiting to be able to play, or spending forever running around or flying around doing a list of dailies/quests. Paying to wait and waste time in a game just doesn't make sense anymore!

I so know what you mean about the free time, you never realize how much free time WoW eats up until you quit it. I didn't realize how quickly time flew by while playing. You said your wife introduced you to WoW? Did she quit too?
FadedNovelty

Postby dk76 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:52 am

Re: My wife. Yes she gave up long ago. It didn't hold her interest.

Re; Your new toon. Might be time to delete that new toon. I've been thinking of rolling one as well, but I have not. Was tempted last night.

One thing about this addiction that doesn't get mentioned much is the hypnotic affect of the computer screen? or the game?

I reckon it has short term or long term affects on brain chemistry and brain waves. I think this is a key part of the addiction.

Once out of the game, our mind craves to be back in that hypnotic brain wave band. By thinking about the game we can trigger that focus of the mind again?

Hence why it's hard to give up?
dk76

Postby FadedNovelty on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:57 pm

I'm not really sure about the brain waves with addiction but I know even though I quit I tend to spend too much time in front of the computer haha. I'd delete my new toon but it makes me feel better having it there. Weird but yeah. I guess I know that I tried it and it didn't work and if I ever need to prove that to myself I can just log in to that lvl 10 toon and feel the same way (that it's a waste of time blah blah); at least until the account expires :-P

There have been studies saying that gaming releases the same endorphins or whatever that doing some drugs does. I can see that, sometimes you'd get a little high when you got out of a tricky situation or downed something you thought you were going to wipe on. I think that plus finding something in the real world that makes you as entertained/fulfilled is what makes it really hard.
FadedNovelty

Postby dk76 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Hey Faded!

Myself I would have to delete that toon. That's me though. If it's helping you to have it there, then that's good.

I'm experiencing a kind of lifestyle hangover. Like fog is clearing up.

I'm also experiencing joy now at the mundane experiences. Like going to bed early and waking up early.

I feel some joy now, whereas before I had this mind that was hooked into the Warcraft matrix all the time.

It's not estatic joy, it's more like seeing colours, whereas before my life was grey.

I am now looking at doing something with my life. Developing myself.

I am still coming home and sitting in front of the computer, but it's only web surfing. I know this can easily replace my warcraft addiction, because I used to be that way prior to WOW.

I'm now looking at spending less and less time online.

My house is a pigstyle. I have a tendency to hoard things. A lot of clutter and mess about.

That's my next step is to clean up the trash, to throw things out, to sell things on ebay, and give some things to charity.

I have some really good books that I plan to read as well.

I'm looking to start my bachelors degree via correspondence.

Also I plan to exercise in the mornings. One step at a time.
dk76

Postby FadedNovelty on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 pm

I totally understand the seeing colors thing. It's so nice being able to do ANYTHING without having that constant "I need to go log on and play" feeling. Sometimes I miss it but it's so nice just seeing the real world again. Sometimes it even seems too bright :-P

Kudos on the plans! Keeping busy is the easiest way to stay clean. I'm focusing on getting fit again too, that's my main goal atm. Secondary goals include finding a job lol I'm sick of being at home :sredit
FadedNovelty

Postby dk76 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:45 pm

Ahhh A job.

Yes that would be a priority.

Two years ago I got retrenched and I was pretty much jobless for a year. Living off my wife and retrenchment package.

Warcraft was a time filler for me and unfortunately the time flew by.

If you asked me what I did that year, I couldn't tell you. It's almost like I blanked that time out.

Having a full time job gives you focus. So I've been employed for a year now. Not liking the work, but liking not being unemployed. :sredit
dk76

Postby FadedNovelty on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:09 am

dk76 wrote:If you asked me what I did that year, I couldn't tell you. It's almost like I blanked that time out.

That's exactly how I feel about the years I spent playing WoW! I'm pretty sure I did stuff outside of the game occassionally, but heck if I can tell you what most of it was. Pretty sad that I wasted 4 years being lost inside it, even more sad is that there are people who are still lost in it :grumble
FadedNovelty

Postby dk76 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:26 pm

I fell again and have rolled up some toons.

I found myself mindlessly playing all last night.

Like stuck in a drug haze. The hours clicked by :(
dk76

Postby Tawnee on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 am

Fine...you fell.

No harm done. Don't get into the whole "I've done it now, may as well keep going".

Just pick up and start again. Tomorrow is a new day.
Tawnee
Moderator: Goddess

Postby happiness on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:57 pm

dk76 - start taking yourself seriously please!

Your mind has played so many times with the thought of quitting and you keep falling back because the game has created a bond with you. If you read some of my replies to you back when you posted the first times - there will still be meaningfull advice.

Ill make it short this time.

To avoid coming back to the game I suggest the following:

1) Force yourself to be free of the game, forums, anything related to the game - even gf if neccesary for at least 21 days. This time is needed to get some of your brain chemicals to return to normal. After 21 days its a bit easier to not think of the game - easy enough to start seeing the meaning of not falling back in.

2) Explore the deeper reasons behind your addiction. Maybe through a professional - doctor, therapist, very close friends who are good at talking about emotional stuff. Were you brought up in a toxic environment as a child - and do you have low self-esteem. Do you use the game (or other addictions) to escape from emotions that are almost unbearable to think of or even feel - maybe emotions you have ignored since childhood? Do you use the aknowledgements from players and the achievements in game to boost your self-feeling? Consider reading the book "Toxic Parents" by Susan Forward if you might suffer from your childhood. There is usually a reason behind being addicted. Ask yourself what need the game fullfills that are hard for you to get fullfilled otherwise.

3) Take up excercise - start working on improving your physical health. Running, strength training - even sports (team sports?). This will give you energy - sharpen your self-awareness and your ability to feel your true needs. It will take your mind of the game and it will boost your self-esteem.

4) Consider writing a diary. Takes about 14 days straight use to get used to being confidential with yourself I would say. It will help you get in contact with your inner emotions and needs. Force yourself to write a few lines each day - and use the time with the diary as a 30 minutes time-out with yourself.

5) Use the boards here to get help and provide help. It will also help you not fall back in.

6) Again - start taking yourself and your life serious. Its your life - and you have the power to do with it what you want - dont let a game decide something for you. The power to change it all is within you - its just a matter of doing it in the end. Choosing it by your own will.

Wish you the best in your struggles. It is not easy - and you deserve big aknowledgements for taking up the challenge (again).

Kind Regards
Happiness
happiness
Friend

Postby Lithium543 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:28 am

If you rolled alliance, or on a pve server, you may as well have stayed off. :trout

On that note, uninstall the game. That's what kept me off for so long. Core Wow, 3 expansions, and all the updates? That's like 18 gigs of install and downloads, and takes hours, which will be plenty of time for you to think about it, and go do something else.

May I suggest a beer with your buddies? I bet they miss you.
Lithium543

Postby PirateJohn on Tue May 04, 2010 11:49 pm

dk76 wrote:Having a full time job gives you focus. So I've been employed for a year now. Not liking the work, but liking not being unemployed. :sredit

I think that may be one thing that started increasing my playing time. The game sort of becomes an opiate. Personally, I hate my job and am desperately trying to quit (it's getting so bad I'm going to see a psychiatrist because I'm literally worried that my job is going to cause me to have a heart attack or a stroke). When I get depressed, I tend to turn to mindless activities such as going on the internet and playing games to purge the demons from my head. Eventually, the game became a second demon, so I did the only right thing I could do and quit it entirely.
PirateJohn

Postby happiness on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:27 pm

Any update on this? Are you still with us or still stuck on the dark side?
happiness
Friend

Return to Sort Yourself Out - The REHAB Room