Another WoW addict trying to quit, beginning stage.

This forum is for those of you who are in the middle of or have successfuly beat the addiction. Whether your addiction was gaming, smoking, eating, etc. you are welcome to use this forum to help you get through it or share your story of how you got through it!

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, Neglected

Another WoW addict trying to quit, beginning stage.

Postby Sparkes on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:11 pm

I've been playing WoW now for about 4 years. When I met my Fiancée about a year and a half ago I quit, spent all my time with her and slowly forgot about it. Then, about 6 months ago I just had a sudden urge to go back, leveled a character to 80 and have been playing for top items e.t.c.... just as I used to, except I say, more excessively. I'd come home from work and jump on for hours, stop for dinner, continue after long into the night, sometimes not getting to sleep till 4am.

Anyway, yesterday I was sitting on the game and I logged off, went to account management and canceled the subscription. I hadn't enjoyed the game for a long time it just seemed like a habit, something to waste away time with. It was all so sudden but it feels good. I've had my fiancée change my password and I'm going to sell the account on Ebay once I sort out my Paypal account (recently moved) which I really need to get done asap.

So, I guess I just wanted to give you a brief story about me and perhaps ask if any of you have any tips on staying away? I have still been gaming but not to that extent, in fact Steam says I've played Counter Strike for 3 hours in the last 48 and thats all I've played.
Sparkes

Re: Another WoW addict trying to quit, beginning stage.

Postby happiness on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:01 pm

Short advice here: I would recommend a full quit - and not just playing less. A full quit with no contact at all to either game or related forums - is the only way to truly free your mind of the addiction. Take 1 day at a time - each time you think about going back to the game - postpone the thought to the day after. The longer the time outside it all - the easier it gets - and suddenly you will truly feel how meaningless it actually is and no longer be able to relate to it as you once did.

I wish I had time right now to write more. I've quit WoW 2½ years ago and it was a struggle for me aswell. I think its only been the past ½ year, maybe a bit more, that I've stopped thinking about it completely and not felt some sort of pull towards it.

I wish you well in this battle!

Kind Regards
Happiness
happiness
Friend

Return to Sort Yourself Out - The REHAB Room