Do you love reading?? What books are you reading now?

What's going on in your life other than your 'Widow Woes'? Post about pretty much anything that doesn't fit anywhere else here :p

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, max

Do you love reading?? What books are you reading now?

Postby Lyoness on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:32 pm

Hey all!!

I love reading and I was curious to know what everyone else likes to read. What are some of your favourite authors?? What genres do you love? What do you recommend? What have you re-read 50 million times over?? :p

I personally am currently on a Fantasy kick. I loved Death Gate Cycle by Weis & Hickman, as well as the Dragonlance Series, I loved A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and so many others!

I used to be big on Horror. I love Stephen King and Anne Rice and such!

Right now I'm not reading anything :( Because I'm working two jobs and preparing for the move..... :cry I miss my reading time!
Founder of GamerWidow.com

Please feel free to become a contributing author to the site! Email me at lyoness@gamerwidow.com if you are interested. :)
Lyoness
Site Admin

Postby Samalander on Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:25 am

Right now I'm not reading anything, my books are in storage. :X

However, my favourite author is definately Steven Brust. I like his Jhereg series, based in his Dragaera world. It has one book for each of the 'houses' There is also a trilogy based in the same world but with different characters. It's "The Phoenix Guards", "Five Hundred Years After" and I don't remember the third. Or it hasn't come out yet.

He has numerous other books, and quite a lot aren't fantasy.

Another favourite author of mine is Nina Kiriki Hoffman. She wrote "The Thread that Binds the Bones", and "The Silent Strength of Stone". She wrote a few other books as well, but those two I liked best.

Elizabeth Willey is a good author, with one downfall. In her books, "The Well Favoured Man", "A Sorcerer and a Gentleman" and "The Price of Blood and Honor" I just loved the writing, and I loved the setting, and all the characters. The plot really fell down for me, not because it was bad, but because so many bad things happened. The plot was good, the depressing events weren't.

I've read and own all of Raymond E Feist's books, I'm pretty sure. Including the ones he partnered with... some woman. I forget her name. They're all decently good fantasy.

I've read and own most of Mercedes Lackey's books, but I find them to be pulp fiction. They're very basic writing and not particularly creative, and pretty repititious.

I've read a few of the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books that have been mentioned, not in any particular order. They're based on Dungeons and Dragons games that the authors have played, if I recall correctly. So they incorporate NPCs created by the DM and the characters the players made. They're not bad but I never got sucked in.

And I just plain never started the Wheel of Time. My goodness, that man must go through many keyboards!

That's about it for fiction. I read encyclopedias, books on religion or philosophy, textbooks, astronomy, the Internet, History and Politics rarely, and Linux. I avoid magazines like the plague, except Reader's Digest, and avoid newspapers as well.

Shakespeare is a genius! (I love the Tempest, and The Alchemist, but that's not by him)
Samalander
Friend

Postby green_ayana on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:35 pm

i'm (finally) reading east of eden.

it's even more beautiful than everyone says.
green_ayana
Friend

Postby SitCom on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:07 am

Wow East of Eden. Is so good. I should read it again. I loved the dry, humoristic tone. A fantastic story. I myself is still on no. 2 in Stephen King's serie The black Tower.
:)
SitCom
Friend

Postby Krissy on Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:16 pm

I can't say I'm an avid reader. I go through phases. Lately, I just don't have the time or the focus to read for any extended period of time. Although I am currently on the latest Harry Potter. It's a little slow right now, but I'm hoping it's going to pick up! I've heard good things!
~It's your life. You can decorate it as you like. - B.F.~
Krissy

Postby green_ayana on Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:04 pm

awwwwwwww the harry potters just keep getting sadder and sadder :cry

not that i'm going to stop reading them ;)
green_ayana
Friend

Postby Krissy on Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:58 am

I hear ya...I just wish I had sat down and read it straight through when I had the time this summer. Now I only read a little each night and it's taking forever!
Krissy

Postby Lyoness on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:34 am

Well.....I'm jobless so I have time to read now.... :P

I'm currently reading "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and I'm loving it!! Thanks to the feens for that one!!! :hug
Founder of GamerWidow.com

Please feel free to become a contributing author to the site! Email me at lyoness@gamerwidow.com if you are interested. :)
Lyoness
Site Admin

Postby brequist on Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:46 am

I LOVE reading! I read all the time, sometimes more then one book at a time... unfortunatly being abroad I was not able to take my beloved books with me :-P I primarily read fantasy stuff, but GOOD fantasy... I can be picky on occasion.

Here's a little list of some of my favs (In no particular order):

Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (all 5 of them) by Douglas Adams
Harry Potter
Wicked, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.... (basically anything by Gregory Maguire)
the Dragonriders of Pern series
the Chronicles of the Cheysuli series by Jennifer Roberson
Wise Child/Juniper by Monica Furlong
Sophie's World
the Nausicaa series (this one is a Japanese Graphic novel series)
Sphere by Michael Chrichton
Girl with the Pearl Earring
The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

and there are tons more, but those are basically the top of my list :-P
brequist
Friend

Postby thefeeny on Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:39 am

I am a big reader of non fiction and particularly books which further a financial education.

I actually have a booklist somewhere - I think I might post it in the rehab room I am such a big believer in financial educaiton!!!!
thefeeny

Postby The Katipo on Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:25 am

I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger.

Pretty darn fantastic.

Anyone else read it? What did you think?

*sigh* I love school holidays....I love that I read something for pleasure! Today is my last weekend before I'm back into it! :|
- The Katipo
The Katipo
Friend

Postby Polishwonder74 on Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:28 pm

American Soldier - General Tommy Franks

And the paper that is ruining my life: "A theoretical and experimental analysis of polymerization shrinkage of bone cement: a potential major source of porosity"

/had to get that off of my chest
Myspace Profile
Try to look unimportant, they might be low on ammo.
Polishwonder74

Postby The Katipo on Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:03 pm

Polishwonder74 wrote:/had to get that off of my chest

*deep breath*
While we are getting things off our chest, I MUST say something too...
I have also been reading...your sig...OVER AND OVER, and "the" is still not re-organising itself into the correct formation.
*biting lip*

Okay, I feel much better...I just had to say it... :look Hahaha...
"restrain....the....English teacher....in me!!!" (*wrestle with self*)

:lol :lol :lol
(thought ya might wanna fix it...if not...that's fine, I'm FIIIIIIIIIIIINE with it, TOTALLY fine....

can ya please? :sad)

:lol
- The Katipo
The Katipo
Friend

Postby Polishwonder74 on Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:57 pm

Fixed my siggeh.

:clap
Myspace Profile
Try to look unimportant, they might be low on ammo.
Polishwonder74

Postby The Katipo on Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:30 am

GOOD BOY!!!

*patting on the head*

:lol

Seriously though - thanks! I'll sleep better tonight (see now, I'm mocking MYSELF in all this really...not you matey)
- The Katipo
The Katipo
Friend

Postby Lazaar on Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:50 am

I read mostly fantasy books. I just finished the A Song of Ice and Fire series for the third time and I'm getting impatient for the next installment. A few books and series' I re-read quite often are:

The Death Gate Cycle - Weis and Hickman
Ender's Saga - Orson Scott Card
American Gods, Good Omens, Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
GamerWidow.com Codemonkey
Lazaar

Postby SisterAbbye on Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:00 pm

I am in the middle of a book called "Shaking Her Assets" -- yes a chick novel but not the typical "gotta find Mr. Right" kind. It has a great, strong female character...love it!

Some of my faves:

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
The Vagabond by Colette
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams
Immortality by Milan Kundera
Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen
SisterAbbye

Postby Raptoe on Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:24 pm

I am reading the Dutch version of dace of Death by Preston & Child.
y now I own their entire series of Books about the intruiging FBI agent Pendergast.

Despite the last book which I liked a bit less than the others, they came out with a nice follow up which has me hooked ever since I picked it up. I only put it down now so I have something left to read in the traain to work tommorow (although I could watch some movies on my psp and annoy the other passnegres with that).

Also I tried to read the latest one by Anne Rice and was a bit dissapointed as her characters managed to keep having these fits of being mary sues. Some of them are so perfect that it becomes annoying and you really start to ahte that. And that is not something the is beneficial to the story itself.

A very funny one is the zombie survival guide..
A very nice comedy book about how one needs to act and escaped if the world was overrun by zombies. All I can say now is that I would handle myself perfectly in the game Resident evil/ Biohazard.

Harry Potter was an interesting experience as I am a big Snape fan ever since I read the books 7 years ago or so.

Furthermore I read a lot of non fiction as well with a special intrest in forensic science and the developements of certain virusses (mainly Filo virusses). ANd a lot of computer magazines naturally ;-)
Raptoe

Postby Krissy on Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:31 am

So I'm in the middle of "A Million Little Pieces"

Anyone read it yet? It's Oprah's latest book I think. Although I don't catch her show much, I happened to tape the episode where the author was on. It hit close to home for me and I cried through the entire episode. So of course I go out and buy the book and man, it just sucks you in! I'm hooked!
Krissy

Christopher Moore

Postby witchgal36 on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:33 pm

I love anything by Christopher Moore. Right now I am reading The Mists of Avalon.I'm reading this becuase my husband was cast on a production of Camelot and he's Mordred and he's very excited about it.
Before that it was Confessions of a Teen Sleuth (a Nancy Drew parody). The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Nightime was good, as was Hypocrite in a Poufy White Dress.
I like to read.

Hooray for reading! :beer
witchgal36

Postby FarleySC on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:27 pm

I realize this is an old post, but it's already been bumped, sooo.... I'm currently reading "The Eagle" which is the sequel to "Clothar the Frank" by Jack Whyte which is an offshoot of his Bestselling Dream of Eagles series. It's a historical fiction based on the Arthurian legend and I've found it to be a very enjoyable series. I also religiously read the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. My wife and I both love these books, although she hasn't read the last 3, but hey University is a busy time. One of my favorite books of all time is called Byzantium, I'm not sure who the author is, but it's a historical fiction about a monk/scribe who goes on a journey, the first 2 chapters are kind of hard to get through, a lot of boringness, BUT the book rocked. Anyways, that's what this cat's into.
FarleySC

Postby girlgamer on Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:42 am

Books I enjoy. Roll of Thunder Hear my cry. Took me a few years to really understand it. I also enjoy love stories and the best author for me to date is Jane Greene... My favourite of her books was spellbound. I tend to read on the bus or plan and almost always 30 minutes before I sleep to relax from the stress of life/gaming.
Lost in a never ending game
girlgamer

Postby hyarke on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:02 pm

I liked the Eragon and Bartimeus series, can't wait for the follow ups.
Spoiler Alert: Murtagh you bastard! OMFGWTF he's Eragon's brother?
Oi 'ey wot?
hyarke

Location: Unknown, last on the Stairway to Heaven, wondering what all the fuss is about.

Reading...

Postby MrsPitcher on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:39 am

Well, I can honestly say I'm an avid reader. I haven't had much time to read for leisure, I'm in school full-time, but I have a boatload of books a friend gave me. Right now, I'm on Raising Atlantis, I can't remember the author's name, it's not in front of me at the moment. I did read Cold Mountain. Very good read. I just have to see the movie now! Spectical of Corruption is pretty good, sorry I can't spell! Anyway, I WAS wondering what other Widows were reading.
Wait, he was here a second ago...
MrsPitcher

Current books

Postby nthrgamingwidow on Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:38 pm

I am reading Fight Club, On the Road by Jack Carowak (i know i didnt spell his name right, oh well) and i have the Cats Cradle on the waiting list. I enjoy reading and after i read all the books written by some really good authors, i just started picking out random how to books and such at the library. Stuff like acupuncture without needles, drawing books. I am a mystery/murder story but am pretty open to read anything. I agree the zombie manual is a great one to flip through. I recently picked up the Batman training guide from walden books and it teaches you how to "take a kick to the head, drive your batmobile on two wheels, how to survive a gas bombing, ect. They are great to just pick up and flip through. When i read a great book, i hide in my room and read it all in about two days. But i do read in fases also.
nthrgamingwidow

Next

Return to RL or Real Life (also for Off Topic Posts)