Do you love reading?? What books are you reading now?

What's going on in your life other than your 'Widow Woes'? Post about pretty much anything that doesn't fit anywhere else here :p

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, max

Postby movingforward on Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:00 am

hmmm -

pretty much what i expected, with some surprises, especially the sleeping beauty series. :) gotta love that sharing that with the right person!

a few into the classics. nice. me, i am a huge dickens fan. currently re-reading Great Expectations. i may take a run at Ye Olde Curiousity Shoppe after that or the first half of The Jungle.

moving forward ~
movingforward
Friend

Postby MrSod on Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:07 am

I am reading 1634: The Baltic War by Eric Flint
Great book. But I am going insane waiting for George R R Martin to finally release his next Song of Fire and Ice book. Gah!
I also devour every Terry Pratchett book I can find.
I am waiting for my Mon to finish reading the new Harry Potter book so I can borrow it from her.
MrSod

Postby Detritus on Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:47 pm

I am reading textbooks atm...but for fun I do like history, Stephen Ambrose and others. My favorite author writes funny fantasy (though very deep at times). His name is Terry Pratchett with his novels being set on the Discworld. A flat circular world carried through space on the backs of four giant elephants who are themselves riding the back of the Great A'tuin a star turtle (basically a huge sea turtle). If you want to read his work I suggest you start with Guards! Guards! and then Men at Arms...very well written and funny.
"Detritus was a splatter, thats like a bouncer, but they throw harder."
Terry Pratchett from "Guards! Guards!"
Detritus

books

Postby Malakie on Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:22 am

Hi,

I like to read Tom Clancy style novels for entertainment. I also like Patricia Cornwell, Brad Thor, Dale Brown, Dean Koontz and the author who wrote The Broker (can't remember his name off the top). My problem however is I read way to fast. I can finish any of those novels in about 2.5 to 3 hours - and retain it all.
Take it light...
Malakie
Malakie
Friend

Postby Deis on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:02 am

I read a lot, and that's lead to my work as a copywriter. I also write book reviews for a few sites - one of which sends me advance preview copies, which I love - and write game and film reviews too, mostly for the practice.

Write now I'm reading Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, by Gregory Maguire. My boyfriend bought it for my birthday, along with seven or eight others - we have a running joke that it's something for me to do while he plays WoW.
Deis

Postby Nimrod on Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:35 am

I am a voracious reader. 100 to 150 pages per hour.

I read almost anything except text books. My favorite genre is fatasy followed by Sci-Fi. I know, surprising from a gamer right?

Favorite aurthors include:

Fiest
Robert Jordan (praying he lives long enough to finish the wheel of time)
Sara Douglass
Micheal Moorcock
Terry Goodkind
Elizabeth Hayden
George RR Martin...

Too many to list, I would take up all the bandwidth.

Sufices to say, if you meantion something in the Fantasy Genre, 90% of the time I have read it.
Nimrod
Friend

Postby Childe on Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:45 pm

Just finished with Mary Renault's "The King Must Die", her very nicely done recreation of the Theseus myth. It was good enough that I'm now on the lookout for some of her other books, and I'd definately recommend it to those who enjoy Greek myth and historical fantasy.
Former game-widow, current goth chick in-residence.

Your computer is a clicking demon, stealing away your soul and taking everything from me.
Childe
Friend

Postby stunned on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:07 pm

I didn't have time to read every post but a really good book that I highly recomend is the "Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. This is a extremely well written book but it is not a "light" read.
I enjoy too many authors to list but one of my current favorites is Carl Hiaasen, a very funny satirical novelist.
stunned

Postby Nimrod on Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:38 pm

I recently read,,,or I should say REREAD a pair of books by Jean Shepard.

he is the guy who wrote the Christmas Tale movie. The one with Ralfie (him) and the red ryder bee bee gun.

Anyway the books are called :

In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash
and
Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: And Other Disasters

They are folksie tales about growing up as a depression era child and always make me wondere at innocense lost and leave me amazed at how much has changed.
Nimrod
Friend

Postby Shikyo Keibatsu on Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:29 am

Recently, I've been getting into the Wheel of Time series, thanks to Faeril. I also like reading the Rurouni Kenshin manga, Samurai Deeper Kyo manga, Star Wars, and HALO. The books are just as great as the games, honestly.
<center>Image
Herald and Sith Battlemaster of the Dark Jedi Brotherhood
Recruit of the White Tower</center>
Shikyo Keibatsu
Gaming Guru

Postby scarlett87 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:53 am

im reading a book called "Pretty Little Mistakes" by Heather McHealaton. I dont know if you all used to read those choose your own ending books bakc in the day but this book is an adult choose your own ending. its pretty neat
scarlett87

Postby James24255 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:57 am

As a guy with a degree in English, I have read all sorts of good stuff over the years.
Nowadays though I read quite a bit of fantasy.

Some of my favorite authors:
Tolkien (Lord of the Rings)
Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time)
Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth Series)
R.A. Salvatore (Drow elf series)
Piers Anthony (Xanth novels)
JK Rowling (Potter books)

Recently read: The woman who walked into doors, Roddy Doyle. Absolutely brutal.

Reading now: Catherine Asaro, The Misted Cliffs.
My wife actually recommended it to me. She likes books with female lead characters. I have found it to be a welcome change of pace, especially compared to the last book I read.

Recommendations: based on the "ease of reading" as well as the level of brutality experienced, I would recommend the potter books, then the drow elf series (which has a ton of books...but I highly recommend Salvatore because of the ease of reading and solid character development...it actually hooked my little brother, who was never really big into reading up until Harry Potter), then Terry Goodkind (though some of the characters in his books are TWISTED...and sometimes I think the author has too much fun describing torture). My wife tried to get into the wheel of time but just didn't get hooked. It was kind of tough for me during the later books as well. The LOTR series is great, but slower compared to these authors. Piers Anthony books are very light and easy reading, but usually pretty silly (lots of puns). I've enjoyed them though...I got interested after reading the book "Pet Peeve" then started from book 1 and am up to book 7 I think.

For dog lovers: Marley and Me, Cesar's way (training help)
For children: Where the red fern grows, Bridge to Terabithia, The Dark is Rising, the Narnia books

There are plenty of others I could mention, but those are the ones that stick out.
James24255
Friend

Postby Kirsty_29 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:00 pm

I was just handed a book from a friend of mine called "The Secret", not sure what to think of it yet, not far enough in. I'm more of a writer than a reader but am thinking that getting into reading again is a good idea.

Kirsty
Kirsty_29

Re: Christopher Moore

Postby jordan on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:10 am

I read mostly fantasy books. I just finished the A Song of Ice and Fire series for the third time and I'm getting impatient for the next installment.
jordan

Postby FarleySC on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:38 am

The Great Hunt -- Robert Jordan
FarleySC

Postby Psykiblue on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:56 am

Yay for wheel of time series :D

Yay For the series song of fire and ice and yes I too am waiting impatiently for the next damn book to come out.

I hope the last book of the WOT gets published.

I'm rereading right now the belgariad series. Awesome books. Got my coworker hooked as well.
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

Psykiblue

Postby worldangel on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:09 am

Currently reading Stephen King's Lisey's Story...

Before that was reading Microserf...

Reading helps me to pass time... :D
worldangel

Postby Childe on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:57 pm

Let's resurrect this thread!

I recently went on a little Gregory Maguire kick and read "Wicked" and "Confessions of an Evil Stepsister". Both excellent reads. For those unfamiliar with these books, "Wicked" is "The Wizard of Oz" as told from the Wicked Witch of the West's perspective. It was made into a moderately successful musical. "Confessions" is the Cinderella story, as told by one of the stepsisters. The love scenes are a little bit forced sometimes (it's pretty obvious that they were written by a male), but overall I was pleased.

Your computer is a clicking demon, stealing away your soul and taking everything from me.
Childe
Friend

Postby MJ on Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:39 pm

I am reading two - one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Not sure how that happened!

In the livingroom is a Dana Stabenow mystery - reliably formulaic, but I love the setting - wilderness of Alaska. Ahh those were the days.

In the bedroom I am reading Mergers and Acquisitions, a semi fictional tale of Wall Street elite. I'm not too far in, but I like the style.

Childe I loved the play - have to read the book now I guess! My 21 year old, totally straight football playing cousin even loved it and wanted to go again. :D
MJ
Friend

Postby Childe on Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:05 pm

Reading multiple books is fun! I miss doing that ... when I still lived with my parents I'd usually have one book going in my bedroom upstairs, one in the living room on the main floor of the house, and one in the rec room down in the basement. This way I'd always have a book to read, no matter which room I secluded myself in (I shared a bedroom with my sister, and so locking myself in there wasn't always an option -- if I needed my own space I'd just take whichever floor was least occupied).

Childe
Friend

Postby chai on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:15 pm

i read around 75 books last year... i read a ton. this year not so much with the job :(

my favorites:

molokai
harry potter series
the crimson petal and the white
the russian concubine
cleopatra
shantaram
the ruins
phillipa gregorys books
anything by margaret george
anything by gregory maguire
clan of the cave bear series
house of leaves (weirdest book ever...)

and tons more. i love current fiction and historical fiction. some fantasy...
chai

Postby Faeril on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:03 pm

Let's see, I'm currently reading Kim Harrison's For a Few Demons More and I also started reading Douglas Adam's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which I've been meaning to read for awhile, but I'm just now getting to it. :lol
Creative Director & COO
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
Ideas? Suggestions? Email me at melissa@gamerwidow.com
Faeril
Site Admin

Postby Childe on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:10 pm

I'm re-reading (for the umpteenth time) "The Count of Monte Cristo". It's one of my favourite books, and it's a welcome break after all the Shakespeare I've been reading for class lately. "The Merry Wives of Windsor" is SO BORING, and I'm playing Mistress Page in a scene study next month :P

Childe
Friend

Postby poetren on Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:17 am

I'm rereading hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy... :)
poetren

Reading

Postby sadinmv on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Well, that's it. I have to start reading again.
With work and driving, time seems to get all used up with not much time left for reading.
You convinced me!

I do have some books going though. In the bedroom is "Discovering Community" by Stephen Doughty. In the living room, I am re-reading "Power vs Force," by David Hawkins. Both are non-fiction.

I am thinking it fits into my new interest in Feng Shui :p .

I liked the Rich Dad, Poor Dad series too. Have you read "The Richest Man in Babylon"?

sadinmv
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
[Eleanor Roosevelt, 1884 to 1962]
sadinmv
Friend

PreviousNext

Return to RL or Real Life (also for Off Topic Posts)