Do you love reading?? What books are you reading now?

What's going on in your life other than your 'Widow Woes'? Post about pretty much anything that doesn't fit anywhere else here :p

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, max

Postby chem_mommy on Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:45 pm

I love to read, just recently I started making more time for it.

I just finished Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife. It was pretty good, made me realize that gamers could be worse, they could have another spouse for us to fight for their scant attentions! :D This book is based on a true story, which makes it even sadder at times. I would hate to live like this woman did. It was hard to put down, I just had to know how it would all work out for her.

I picked up some recent James Patterson books at the library today, hopefully those should be good. I loved Cradle and All.
chem_mommy

Re: Do you love reading?? What books are you reading now?

Postby Sirena on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:34 pm

I just finished reading a book that a lady in my church wrote. It has just been published. The title is Tara and the Place of Irish Kings. It is the story of her daughter who was born with cystic fibrosis. It is in Tara's words, as she kept a journal throughout her life. I highly recommend it. It is available through amazon and atlas. The author is Gail Joseph Owen.
Love Must Be Tough
Sirena
Friend

Postby molkite on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:13 pm

I am reading the lord of the rings trilogy, minus the hobbit parts lol I don't like the hobbits!
molkite

Postby Djorn on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:43 pm

Book: The Road Less Travelled
Author: M. Scott Peck

About: psychology/self-reflection/spirituality/love

Opinion: Life Changing. Everybody should be forced to read this book. The world would be a better place.
Djorn
Friend

Postby FarleySC on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:58 pm

The Fires of Heaven -- Robert Jordan.
FarleySC

Postby ConansWidow on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:10 pm

I seem to have at least 3 or 4 books going at the same time. ATM I'm reading "Seven Practices for Effective Ministry" (stuff for church), "The Art of Racing in the Rain" (saw it at Starbucks, refused to pay that price), and "I Was Told There'd Be Cake" (for laughs, it's a collection of essays). I won't count the reference manuals and whatnot that are constantly on my desk for work (yuck).
ConansWidow

Postby sheldoal on Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Orion by Ben Bova, Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (off and on), and school stuff. Three weeks until I report back to school.

I love fantasy--Robert Jordan, Guy Gavriel Kay, and Rowling. I also love sci-fi--Orson Scott Card's Ender Series and Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series, among others. :sredit
sheldoal

Postby newlywedwidow on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:52 am

Right now I am reading the whole Lord of the Rings book. It is over 1000 pages but as much as I read it won't last long. I typically read Steven King, but I have gotten on a James Patterson kick. He is awesome! Mr King may be replaced!?

Newly
I am worth it and so are you! Remember...It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many moments take your breath away!
newlywedwidow
Friend

Postby EVEwidow on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:54 am

i am currently reading the Odd Thomas series by dean koontz.
I was previously a Richard Laymon, Graham Masterton and Stephen King fan, as you can tell I love my horror books. The more gory the better lol
EVEwidow

Postby Psykiblue on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:16 pm

ODD THOMAS!!!! I love those books and I love that character! I'm a huge Dean Koontz fan. I'm reading tick tock by him right now actually, literally as we speak. I popped on to check things b/c my eyes were hurting from reading so I hopped on here makes perfect sense to me!

I've been enjoying a lot more sci-fi fantasy books lately. Still haven't read Confessor but I will eventually. Perhaps now that I'm in school?
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

Psykiblue

Postby Tawnee on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:52 am

I have read the ODD THOMAS books and I have finished Confessor.

Not as good as I thought it would be.

It dragged on and then finished up in the last 2 chapters. I wanted/needed more closure.
Tawnee
Moderator: Goddess

Postby Psykiblue on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:20 am

You mean the confessor? It dragged on? Or Odd Thomas?
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

Psykiblue

Postby Tawnee on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:33 pm

Confessor.
Tawnee

Postby Psykiblue on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:59 pm

I've packed it and all the other sword of truth series in my totes, i'll be reading it while at school, figured reading will be a nice relaxor while maybe watching a movie. Oh movies how I love thee.

Psykiblue

Postby MaryBraveBird on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:39 am

i just finished my first two dean koontz books.
"the husband" was pretty good, but "the taking" sucked! he just threw together everything he ever saw on tv about aliens and zombies, which turned the whole thing into a pretty rediculous plot.
MaryBraveBird
Friend

Postby Faeril on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:15 am

I'm finishing up The Passion by Donna Boyd and just started Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Gotta finish before the movie comes out! Otherwise, my boyfriend will probably go see the movie without me. :P I told him I'd have it finished by then though! *nods* Time is ticking. :lol
Creative Director & COO
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
Ideas? Suggestions? Email me at melissa@gamerwidow.com
Faeril
Site Admin

Postby Tawnee on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:50 pm

I loved the "Twilight" series.

Finished all 4 in about 10 days, couldn't put them down.

I could never decide between Jacob and Edward but towards the last book Edward really got to me.

I have seen the promo's for the movie and I have to say that the "Vampires" were way better looking in my head :lol

Girls, if you haven't read them, do. They are aimed at YA but at 39 I thought they were great.

I am also charging through Jodi Picoult books. A great book to start is "19 Minutes". Very touching and well written novel.
Tawnee

Postby Psykiblue on Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:08 pm

I haven't read twilight or any of the other books but people have told me they're nuts over 'em. I might get into them eventually but really can't right now.

I'm rereading the Sword of Truth series, I still haven't read Confessor but I'm on Pillars of Creation after burning through Faith of the Fallen, eventually I'll get to it. I hope so anyway.

I've just finished reading the 4 agreements, I really did enjoy it. It was awesome. I would recommend it to anyone but particularly for those in a social work profession or similar.

Psykiblue

Postby newlywedwidow on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:58 am

I am finishing the "Women's Murder Club" series by James Patterson. My hubby bought me 1-6 for my birthday and I am reading number 7 that I got from the Library. I really like them, but then again I am a sucker for James Patterson so I may be partial. ; )
I am worth it and so are you! Remember...It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many moments take your breath away!
newlywedwidow
Friend

Postby Tawnee on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:31 am

I have read pretty much all of James Pattersons and Johnathon Kellerman's books and have just started reading Faye kellerman (Kellerman & Patterson are very similar).

I adore reading. It is the main thing that I do.
Tawnee

Postby Psykiblue on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:33 am

I've read a lot of patterson and kellerman books too.

Not Faye though might have to look into it.

I'm 3/4 the way done with Pillars of Creation, so I'm burning through another one of goodkind's book.

Psykiblue

Postby nbc4christ on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:49 am

James Patterson is awesome! I love that he can write an awesome thriller one minute and a beautiful masterpiece like Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas.

I just finshed Chloe Does Yale by Natalie Krinsky, about a Yale junior who writes a sex column for the Yale Daily News (I am a sucker for chick lit). I'm currently reading East of Eden. I am a huge John Steinbeck fan. He actually was born and raised in my hometown of Salinas, CA and graduated from my alma mater, Salinas High School. And in this book especially, he weaves in some history between the awesome storyline he created. I've actually seen his grave and also visited the Hamilton plot.
nbc4christ

Postby texaslynn on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:05 pm

I LOVE the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, I just wish she was going to publish Midnight Sun :arch
Recently I got into the Southern Vampier series by Charlaine Harris...especially since that new show on HBO Trueblood came out :)
I also like James Patterson as well his book Sam's Letters to Jennifer is one of my favs for a quick hear felt read.

Im pretty much into everything when reading anyone got any new suggestions for me??
texaslynn

Postby FarleySC on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:03 am

Crown of Swords ~~~ Robert Jordan
FarleySC

Postby LadyVailen on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:28 am

I love books and I also love graphic novels since I'm a big art fan aswell, and am currently reading a Batman book called Arkham Asylum: A serious House on Serious Earth, It's brilliant, the art is so detailed and the story plays out like a twisted Alice in Wonderland story.
LadyVailen

PreviousNext

Return to RL or Real Life (also for Off Topic Posts)