Do you love reading?? What books are you reading now?

What's going on in your life other than your 'Widow Woes'? Post about pretty much anything that doesn't fit anywhere else here :p

Moderators: Psykiblue, Tawnee, max

Re: Do you love reading?? What books are you reading now?

Postby Neglected on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:00 pm

AN EXCELLENT AND MUST READ
Link to The Shack

Troll under the bridge
Neglected

Postby Sirena on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:19 pm

I haven't read The Shack yet. I think I will soon. I have heard many differing opinions on it. Some thought it was great and others were offended by the way God was portrayed. I won't give the details that I have been told and ruin it. But, I do want to read it for myself.

I love to read and have not done so in a long time. I decided this weekend that I was going to read a book. I think with all the gaming going on around here (since the motorcycle accident) that I felt that something intellectual needed to be done quick. Anyway....I am now almost finished with The Oath by Frank Peretti. I have had it since 1997 and not read it. Great Book!! I love Frank Peretti's books. This Present Darkness was excellent!
Love Must Be Tough
Sirena
Friend

Postby newlywedwidow on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:14 am

The Frank Peretti books are good. I have read the Oath several times as well as This present Darkness. Piercing the Darkness is excellent as well.
I am worth it and so are you! Remember...It's not how many breaths you take. It's how many moments take your breath away!
newlywedwidow
Friend

Postby Troi on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:26 am

I'm a big Anne Rice addict so at the minute I'm rereading most of her books as the 1st I read over 15 years ago now.

I'm currently on The Mummy - Ramses the Dammed which has to be my favorite ( love anything Egyptian)
Next will be Lasher from the Mayfair Witches Series

I have a tendency to speed read so I'm trying to slow down and actually make a book last a while instead of 3 or 4 days.
Troi

Postby bearhugs81 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:49 pm

Been a while since I posted on the boards, but I noticed nobody mentioned my fave author and series. So, I had to do my part. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series are freakin hilarious, easy readers. I finish each book in like 2 days at most. Stephanie Plum is a quirky, uncoordinated bounty hunter from Jersey, and each book makes me laugh hysterically.

As previous all time faves, South of Heaven (written about teens attending a local high school), Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls (awesome psych casework book), Forest Gump (way better than the movie), Angie (which they also turned into the movie Angie, I says, but again the book was better than the movie).

I also have a ten y/o son who I love to read The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series with. I think they are cute, fun reading, and the main character is very typical of pre-adolescent boys.

Right now I am totally addicted to Stephanie Plum, though.

Liz
bearhugs81

Postby DangerZone on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:58 pm

I've been re-reading Greg Bear, whom has generally thought provoking science fiction novels. And if you should ever get the chance, I recommend Christopher Moore author of "Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove", "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal", and "The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror" all of which I enjoyed immensely.

Danger
DangerZone

Postby maramyfriend on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:28 am

Being a buddhist and going through divorce two books were recommended to me. I just finished Storms Can't Hurt The Sky and am now reading Anger by Thich Nhat Hahn.

SCHtS was awesome, it is about a guy whose wife just gets up and leaves him and he does not hear from her again, only through lawyers. He stumbles on a Buddhist talk a few days later and the book is kind of like a diary of his realizations and how Buddhist psychology helps him through and makes him a better person (in his own words).
Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?" -Shirdi Sai Baba
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Sri Chinmoy Ghose
maramyfriend

Postby feral_dogstar on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:41 pm

Dead Until Dark, the 1st of the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris. Total brain candy, total fun.
feral_dogstar

Previous

Return to RL or Real Life (also for Off Topic Posts)